[IDV #ZRG-103304]: Converting between knots and m/s with flow vectors

> > > Hi Yuan,
> > > The barbs indicate winds twice stronger than the data shows.
> > > If you look at the location of the cross, it reads 21.7 and 9.6 knots.
> > > This translates well to the contours in the background (12.2 m/sec).
> > >
> > > But, the barb shows 45 knots, as if IDV calculated the speed in knots
> > > (~23.7) and converted again to knots, giving ~46.
> > >
> > > I am using IDV2.9 on WinXP.
> > >
> > > Thanks,
> > >
> > > Ilan
> >
> > Hi Ilan,
> > I think you are right, the u component is no larger than 26.4 knot, and v
> > is no larger than 15.2, the IDV should not display anything larger 30 in
> > the wind barb. I will check to see what is wrong.
> >

> Hi Ilan,
> There is some difference between "Make flow vectors from grid relative u and
> v data" and "Make flow vectors from u and v data", I believe you were using
> the later one, if you choose the other one, it should get the correct result.

Hi Ilan,
     I have checked your data, it contains "True wind ..." in both x and y, so
you should use the "Make flow vectors from grid relative u and v data", which
calculate the True Wind vector, the other one may have a bug when the
projection is not lat/lon base.

Yuan

> Yuan
> >
> > Yuan