[IDV #FEN-395826]: Attempting to view local IGRA and FSL format upper air data files

> > Full Name: Keith McFall
> > Email Address: address@hidden
> > Package Version: 3.0u1 build date:2011-11-30 18:36 UTC
> > Operating System: Windows XP
> > Hardware: Java: home: C:\Program Files\IDV_3.0u1\jre version: 1.6.0_20
> > j3d:1.5.2 fcs (build4)
> > Description of problem: Dear Sir/Madam,
> >
> > I downloaded and installed IDV3.0u1 for Linux (at home) and Windows (at
> > work). I would like to view archived IGRA
> > (ftp.ncdc.noaa.gov/pub/data/igra/)and FSL (www.esrl.noaa.gov/raobs/) format
> > upper air data text files that I download from NCDC sites. I tried loading
> > the files using various Data Chooser options and got error messages
> > indicating that these formats are not supported by IDV3.0u1.
> >
> > It looks like the Unidata LDM code might read FSL formatted data and
> > convert it for use with IDV3. However, since LDM is only available for
> > Linux, and my office computer is a Windows XP machine, I wanted to check
> > with you first before trying. Also, while I wrote a code to convert from
> > IGRA to FSL format, if you have any recommendations for codes that will
> > also visualize (or convert) IGRA data for use with IDV3 (or another tool),
> > that would be very helpful.
> >
> > Thank you,
> >
> > Keith
> >
> Keith,
> It is very likely we can provide you the decoder for the weather text file,
> but I need to check with others to make sure.
>
> Yuan

The NWX text file is in gempak format, and the decoder is in the gempak package
which is only available in UNIX/LINUX platform. The option for you is to write
your own decoder, or install the Virtual Machine in your window OS.

Yuan

> Cheers,
>
> Tom
> --
> Unidata User Support                                    UCAR Unidata Program
> (303) 497-8642                                                 P.O. Box 3000
> address@hidden                                   Boulder, CO 80307
> Unidata HomePage                       http://www.unidata.ucar.edu

Cheers,

Tom