[IDV #ILT-566886]: vertical profiles with depth, not altitude

> Hi Yuan,
> Thanks for the quick reply.  The attached temperature, salinity profile
> (from GTSPP) is very typical of the data I'm dealing with.
> Murray

Murray,
    The data structure is very odd, I am not sure the ncml can work on this
dataset. Looking at your dataset structure:

   float salinity(time=1, depth=19, latitude=1, longitude=1);
     :long_name = "Salinity";
     :short_name = "psal";
     :standard_name = "salinity";
     :units = "PSU";
     :data_min = 33.92f; // float
     :data_max = 34.15f; // float
     :C_format = "%9.4f";
     :FORTRAN_format = "F9.4";
     :_FillValue = -99.0f; // float
     :Station_Duplication_Flag = "N";
     :Digitization_Method = "7";
     :Standard = "2";
     :Deepest_Depth_m = 60.0f; // float
     :epic_code = 41; // int

And the data from Alan:

   float salinity(depth=78, lat=689, lon=1440);
     :_FillValue = -32000S; // short
     :missing_value = -32000.0f; // float
     :long_name = "Salinity";
     :units = "psu";
     :FORTRAN_format = "e13.6";
     :coordinate_system = "orthogonal_constant-spacing";
     :Navo_code = 16; // int

Changing the direction can be done by adding:

  <variable name="depth" shape="depth" type="double">
    <attribute name="positive" value="down" />
  </variable>

But this doesn't help since the IDV can not figure out the type of your data.

Yuan

Ticket ID: ILT-566886