[IDV #SVY-280619]: Precipitation in visualization isobaric isosurface 3D with IDV software

Hi Luis,

re:
> Could you integrate the visualization of total precipitation isobaric,
> isosurface 3D , with Global Forecest System, or another meteorological
> model global, with IDV software, we can see it similar images attached,
> NASA Tropical Rainfall Measuring Missi on (TRMM)
>
> http://earthobservatory.nasa.gov/blogs/earthmatters/2012/09/12/discovering-hot-towers/?src=eoa-blogs
> http://www.nasa.gov/mission_pages/hurricanes/archives/2012/h2012_Sanba.html

The IDV can visualize a 2D field as a 3D surface already.

Try the following:

- from the Dashboard window, click on the Data Choosers tab

- under General at left choose Catalogs

- in the right hand window choose:

  Unidata IDD Model Data -> UCAR (motherlode) -> Global Forecast Systems Model
->
  NCEP GFS Global 0.5 Degree -> Latest NCEP GFS Global 0.5 Degree

- click on Add Source

- from the Field Selector Fields tab select:

  2D grid -> Moisture -> Total_Precipitation_Accumulation (Accumulation for
Mixed Intervals) @ surface

- from the Field Selector Displays select:

  3D Surface -> Color-filled Contoured Parameter as Topography

- from the Field Selector Times choose a single time

- click Create Display

- NB: make sure to Change Range (right click on the color bar in the Legends
  block on the left) to From All Data

- from the Dashboard Displays tab try changing the range for the color filled
  contours to get the effect that you want

Cheers,

Tom

Ticket ID: SVY-280619