[IDV #ONX-380426]: how to use Dropbox for my history, favorites, custom color tables, etc.

Brian,

This sounds like a good idea. I would suggest accomplishing this with symbolic
link from the file system. Also see the -userpath IDV command line option to
change the location of the of the .unidata directory. There may be problems we
have not anticipated, but it is still worth a shot.

On a somewhat related note, I wrote an IDV dropbox plugin
https://github.com/julienchastang/idvbox that allows you to publish bundles to
dropbox (just like you do with RAMADDA). If interested, I can give you more
details.

Best Wishes,

Unidata IDV Support

> I am tired of my laptop and desktop IDV sessions saving their custom color
> tables, history, favorites, etc. in my home directories on different machines.
>
> Can I store that stuff in Dropbox and somehow tell IDV on both machines to
> look there, instead of in ~/.unidata/idv when I click it to life?
> I'd rather not have to launch it from a command line with an argument, but I
> guess that would be acceptable.
>
> Can I consolidate them from different machines, or will I have to favor one
> machine's version as the new starting point for my future consolidated
> preferences file?
>
> Thanks for any assistance.
> Brian
>
> Brian Mapes