20000911: Unidata-Wisconsin (MCIDAS) images broadcast cessation 20000915

>From: ahuang <address@hidden>
>pnga2area

Alex,

>Thank you for your e-mail.  I did receive all those e-mails about file type
>changes.   I am not the right person to play with PNG files, etc.  However,
>our new faculty member from Uni. of Wisconsin, Dr. Leigh Orf is pretty good at
>UNIX.  And he said he would look into it to see what he can do.

OK.  The work to be done in the transition is pretty straightforward.

>If he is too
>busy or something, is it possible to ask you to log on our Sun workstation and
>do something for us?

Yes, I can do this.  The transition is easy, so it should only take me
about 15 minutes.  I will, however, need logins as both 'ldm' and
'mcidas' to do the work.  If anything is seriously miss on the machine
running the LDM, I will need 'root' access also, but we can cross that
bridge when we get there.

>Of course, I need to talk to UNCA Computer Center people
>to make sure it is OK first.

No problem, but please don't let this slip until Friday!

>Our McIDAS-X is running on SUSE 2.0 (I think),
>do we need to change anything on McIDAS-X PC's for PNG files?

No, the output of the decoding process is the standard McIDAS AREA files
so McIDAS (and GEMPAK/GARP/NMAP) doesn't (don't) have to be changed.

>I really appreciate your concerns, and I hope you and Don are doing well.

Everything is going pretty well here.  Thanks for asking.

>Best regards,

Tom

>From address@hidden Tue Sep 12 06:02:38 2000
>Subject: Re: 20000911: Unidata-Wisconsin (MCIDAS) images broadcast cessation
>20000915

Tom,
  Thank you for willing to help us out.  It will ONLY take you 15 minutes?
Boy, it will take me forever, :0).  If I need you, I will let you know.
Thanks again, and have a nice day.
Alex