Re: 20010122: LDM help

Agustin Diaz wrote:

> Hello Anne,
>
> Thanks for your quick response.  I noticed you mention that the latest
> version of LDM is 5.1.3, but the latest binary version on the ftp server for
> sunOS 5.8 is 5.1.2.1, which is the version I am attempting to install.
> Should I install 5.1.3 from the ftp.unidata.ucar.edu/pub/ldm5/ directory?

Right - I forgot that we didn't make binaries for 5.1.3.  The 5.1.2
binary is just fine.  Might as well stick with that.

> There are no ldmadmin logs to look at.  Would they be located in
> /usr/local/ldm/logs?

Yes.  It's most important to get the logging working first, as that's
where you'll get messages regarding other problems.

Did you follow the preinstallation instructions at
http://www.unidata.ucar.edu/packages/ldm/ldmPreInstallList.html?  In
particular, the section on "Configuring the Operating System as root"
gives the changes you must make to /etc/syslog.conf.  The other
essential piece for logging is that $LDMHOME/bin/hupsyslog is setuid
root, as per the instructions at
http://www.unidata.ucar.edu/packages/ldm/ldmBinaryInstallList.html under
"Make rpc.ldmd and hupsyslog suid root".

> I checked the local disk on the machine and there should be more than enough
> disk space.  I even lowered the queue size to 10MB since we will not be
> receiving much data.

This sounds fine.

> The directory in which I'm building the queue has read and write permissions
> for ldm.
>
> When I attempted to run pqcreate, it gave me a permission denied
> message-bash: ./pqcreate: Permission denied.  I believe that may be the
> problem.

What are the permissions on pqcreate?

> Thanks again for your help.
>
> -Agustin