Re: aeolus in debug mode again

Larry Riddle wrote:

> Anne Wilson said:
>
> >Just to let you know, I put your feed to motherlode in debug mode hoping
> >to catch that problem again.
>
> Of course, the very fact of being in debug mode may preclude the error from
> recurring.  (Shades of Heisenberg!)

Well, if keeping it in debug mode keeps this seemingly random,
mysterious problem from occurring, given that you have lots of disk
space, it might be worth it! :-/   (It seemed to work last time!)
Heisenberg's goal was observation, mine is bug fixing.

> >One other thought: do you know what the patch level for aeolus, and are
> >you up to date on the patches?
>
> The only thing I know is what uname tells me:
>
>          OSF1 aeolus.ucsd.edu V5.0 1094 alpha.
>
> If I happen to run across the system administrator in his perambulations,
> I'll ask.

Please do ask.  I'll confer with our system administrator.

> Robert Mullenax said:
>
> >What OS and LDM version are you running?
>
> Aeolus is a DEC alpha running OSF1 (see above).  I'm not sure what ldm
> version we're running.  Anne installed it from Boulder via the net (you'd
> have to understand how this place is organized to understand why Anne had
> to do it).  I'm assuming it is the latest and greatest, but don't know how
> to determine this.
>
> I would have thought ldmadmin config would tell me this, but it doesn't
> (Anne: hint, hint, hint).  Or that, perhaps, every time the ldm initialized
> a new log file that info would be in one of the first lines (Anne:...).
>
> Larry

Things are structured this way for some probably very good, albeit
unknown, hysteric..., er, historical reasons.  However, I will add your
suggestion to my maintenence task list and consider it very carefully.
Seriously, it's a good idea.

But, you can tell which version you're running by by doing 'ls -l
runtime' in ~ldm.  In the default set up (which you have) the link
'runtime' will point to the version that you are currently using.  We
installed 5.1.4 on aeolus back in November.

Anne
                                  Boulder, CO  80307