20030616: Solaris 9 support for Unidata packages (cont.)

>From: William C Klein <address@hidden>

Bill,

>I would like to also upgrade GEMPAK and McIDAS this summer.  Would it be
>possible to upgrade all three at once?

I can upgrade your McIDAS installation, but that should wait until
the new release, v2003, is ready for download (mid-July).  GEMPAK
is available in binary form, so that should be an easy upgrade for
someone there.  We would like to get your LDM upgraded as soon
as possible.

>I'm not sure that we can give out the root password to the box.  Thanks
>for the offer though.

OK, I can do the LDM installation up to the point of the last step
and then let you know what needs to be done.  I will need the 'ldm'
password to get this going.  I would just as soon do it today if
at all possible.

>> On a separate, but relate topic: can I get you to upgrade to the latest
>> release of the LDM-6.  Statistics we are receiving show that you are
>> still running LDM-5.x.  The upgrade to LDM-6 is quick and easy, and it
>> has proven to improve data ingestion at sites.
>>
>> We are willing to do the LDM-6 upgrade and ldmd.conf tuning for you as
>> long as you give us logins for 'ldm' and 'root' ('root' login is only
>> needed if you do not support 'sudo'; one step in the LDM installation
>> requires 'root' to change the mode of rpc.ldmd and hupsyslog).  If you
>> are interested in us doing the upgrade, please let me know.

Tom