[LDM #HGE-241420]: Having problem getting LDM running

Angel,

> Here's what I found so far. metofis.rsmas.miami.edu is our main LDM machine
> and it is trying to feed weather.math.miami.edu. From metofis, I can
> ldmping data2.atmos.uiuc.edu and weather but from weather I can't ldmping
> metofis or data2.atmos.uiuc.edu.

Sounds like a firewall rule on Weather won't allow outgoing TCP connections to
port 388.

> I have requested that port 388 be opened up on the firewall for weather but
> do I need port 111, the Sun RPC port also opened?

Outgoing TCP connection to port 111 need to be allowed *only if* the LDM server
on the remote host isn't listening on port 388 and the relevant REQUEST entry
in the local LDM configuration-file doesn't specify the non-standard port.  An
LDM server wouldn't listen on port 388 if it was incorrectly installed (i.e.,
if "make install_setuids" wasn't executed by root or the installation
disk-partition doesn't honor the setuid bit for root).

> Angel

Regards,
Steve Emmerson

Ticket ID: HGE-241420