20020103: mcidas update for weather/climate

>From: "David B. Bukowski" <address@hidden>

Dave,

>hey tom.  whenever u get a chance around to it could u do that quick
>update  to both computers.

OK.

>both are still open with SSH and the same
>password as last time if u have it still for mcidas and ldm... just mail
>me when u start and when u finish so if i have a service disappear like
>LDM i know its most likely you :)

I started the rebuild process on both machines at 00:10 Z on Friday (Thursday
evening).

>not a BIG hurry, but whenver you get a chance.

The update is a snap:

o FTP the mcupdate.tar.Z file to the ~mcidas/mcidas7.8/update directory
o unpack mcupdate.tar.Z with:

  ./mcunpack

o CD to the src directory and rebuild everything:

  cd ../src
  make all

o reinstall everything:

  make install.all

o for good measure, stop and restart the LDM on both machines:

  <login as 'ldm'>
  ldmadmin stop
  <wait until all LDM processes have exited>
  ldmadmin start

That's it.

>Thanks a lot and keep up the good work on the products

The build, install, and LDM restart on weather was finished by the time I
ended this email.  climate is not far behind.

BTW, a process called 'elvis' is sucking up 99.9% of the CPU on weather.
What gives?

As I end this email, the build, install, and LDM restart on climate has
finished, so I'm logging off now.

Tom