20020107: access to LDM and McIDAS

>From: LDM <address@hidden>

Josh,

>I need to ftp the latest mcidas update to our system, but I cann't find the
>user name and password in my notes.  Can you help me out?

Sure.  One grabs the LDM using anonymous FTP:

machine: ftp.unidata.ucar.edu
user: anonymous
pass: your_full_email_address
directory, binary: pub/binary
directory, source: pub/ldm5

The current source release of the LDM is ldm-5.1.4.tar.Z (always
accessible as ldm.tar.Z).  The current binary release depends on which
platform you are working on (Sun SPARC if I remember correctly).  It is
typically 5.1.2.

As for the Unidata McIDAS, you should grab this _after_ first
registering as a Unidata User.  This can be done from the Unidata
McIDAS-X 7.80 HomePage:

Unidata HomePage
http://www.unidata.ucar.edu
  Unidata McIDAS-X 7.80 HomePage
  http://www.unidata.ucar.edu/packages/mcidas/780

Click on 'Register as a Unidata User' and follow the instructions.
Sites listing themselves as educational institutions will be granted
access to Unidata McIDAS-X immediately.  Others will have to send an
email describing why they feel they should be granted access.  They are
given access on a case-by-case basis.

Please let me know if you run into any problems.

Tom Yoksas