20020912: NetCDF files (cont.)

>From: "Mathias Lundmark" <address@hidden>

Hi Mathias,

Sorry to take so long to get back to you on this.

>Thank you for the answer on my last question.
>
>I get NetCDF-files from this NCAR reanalysis data. The only thing I want
>is to get the NetCDF files data human readable, and transfer the data to
>ascii / excel. But so far I have not succeed.

You should use the ncdump routine that is part of the netCDF package.
It lists out the contents of a netCDF file in ASCII format.  Use of
ncdump is described in:

Unidata HomePage
my.unidata.ucar.edu
  Software
  http://my.unidata.ucar.edu/software/index.php
    netCDF
    http://my.unidata.ucar.edu/software/netcdf/index.php
      NetCDF Documentation
      http://www.unidata.ucar.edu/packages/netcdf/docs.html

      online HTML
      http://www.unidata.ucar.edu/packages/netcdf/guidec/

      10 - NetCDF Utilities

http://www.unidata.ucar.edu/packages/netcdf/guidec/guidec-15.html#HEADING15-0
      10.5 ncdump

>I have succeed to make graphs in NCbrowse and GRADS so far but nothing
>else.

If you downloade a binary for the netCDF, you will have ncdump available
to you.

>I have tried this ncdump but it doesn't work for me. The program close
>as soon as I try to click and open the program.

ncdump needs to be run from the command line.  Try opening up an
MS-DOS window and running it by hand.  After looking through the
online manual for the netCDF (URLs above), you should get a good idea
of how to run ncdump.

>The computerexpert we have was here today and he said that we need
>Microsoft Visual C++.NET to be able to view this files. Is it true???

No, this is not true.

>We have downloaded your software.
>We have Windows 2000 professional and not driving linux.
>I want the most simple way to get this data. Maybe I will learn to use
>Grads or something similar good in the future but I don't need it for
>the moment

ncdump should be the simplest way to do what you are after.  Let's first
work on getting ncdump working for you.

>Hopefully I will not have more questions after this one.

No worries.

Tom Yoksas