[McIDAS #IRA-241852]: Error codes for MCIDAS

Hi Da-Lin,

re:
> Prof. Pinker's group has used MCIDAS as a tool for their research
> during the past few years. They has recently experienced some
> difficulties with the package. I would appreciate your assistance in
> addressing their following questions:
>
> Where to obtain a list of error codes? Some lists are in the online
> documentation, but they don't seem to be complete.

ADDE error codes can be found in the file ~mcidas/mcidas<ver>/src/adderror.doc,
where <ver> is the version of the software.  For example:

~mcidas/mcidas2004/src/adderror.doc
~mcidas/mcidas2005/src/adderror.doc

> For example, these are the errors they are getting when trying to
> access data from our local server:
>
> Data service module problem, RC= -1
> Call to MCAGET failed; returned  -98

> We have found a list of error codes for MCAGET, but "-98" is not in
> the list.

The "-98" return is listed in adderror.doc as being:

 -98   CXOUT          CXCOMM  could not find program module - install err

From my experience, this typically indicates that some executable has gotten
damaged.  The quickest way to address the problem would be to rebuild the
distribution:

<as 'mcidas'>
cd ~mcidas/mcidas<ver>/src
make clobber
make
 -- or --
make all

make install
 -- or --
make install.all

> Da-Lin Zhang, Professor
> Department of Atmospheric & Oceanic Science Telephone: (301) 405-2018
> 2419 Computer & Space Science Building          Fax:       (301)
> 314-9482
> University of Maryland                                     Email:
> address@hidden
> College Park, Maryland 20742-2425           http://www.meto.umd.edu/
> ~dalin/

Cheers,