[McIDAS #VKB-249110]: Access to McIDAS

Hi Ben,

re:
> We recently got a new machine that we need to put McIdas on, but I am
> unable to download the software.  We are a part of USU, and from my
> understanding should be able to download this software.

Absolutely yes.

> Please let me
> know what I need to do, or what additional information may be needed in
> order to gain access to McIdas.

In order to download packages from the Unidata website, you must first register
with the site:

- go to the homepage of the Unidata website:

http://www.unidata.ucar.edu

- click on 'Login' in the action toolbar ("Data Tools Community ... Login'

- login if you are already registered.  Otherwise, follow the directions
  to register.  NB: make sure that you indicate that you are representing
  an educational institution.

- after you are registered and logged in, proceed to the Downloads page
  and select the hyperlink for McIDAS:

  Downloads
  http://www.unidata.ucar.edu/downloads/index.jsp

    McIDAS-X
    http://www.unidata.ucar.edu/downloads/mcidas/index.jsp

    v2006 Unix Source Code Distribution
    http://www.unidata.ucar.edu/downloads/mcidas/unix/2006/index.jsp

- download all of the files in the 'Unidata McIDAS-X v2006 Distribution Files'
section.

- change the ownership of all of the files downloaded to user 'mcidas' and
whatever group
  your 'mcidas' user is in

- change the execute permission on 'mcunpack'

- review the web documentation for how to setup your shell-specific
configuration file
  (e.g., .cshrc for C-shell and TC-shell users; .bash_profile for BASH, etc.):

  Preparing the mcidas Account

http://www.unidata.ucar.edu/software/mcidas/2006/users_guide/PreparingthemcidasAccount.html#22841

- after you have setup your shell-specific file AND made the settings active
(easiest
  way is to logoff and then log back on), you can unpack and build the
distribution:

  <as 'mcidas'>
  cd ~mcidas
  ./mcunpack
  cd mcidas2006/src
  make                  <- build McIDAS-X only
    -- or --

  make all              <- build McIDAS-X and McIDAS-XCD
  make install          <- install McIDAS-X only
    -- or --
  make install.all      <- install McIDAS-X and McIDAS-XCD

Note:  new installations do not need to run through the testing the build
section of the instructions.

> Thank you!

No worries.

Cheers,