[McIDAS #HZP-657281]: Moving McIDAS-XCD server

Hi Hsie,

re:
> I reboot the machine this morning.

I noticed.  I was logged on to stratus trying to investigate a problem I
found that is affecting the writing of GRIB messages to disk.  This problem
is being seen on stratus, but not on other systems that I have access to
including 64-bit Linux and 32-bit Solaris SPARC.

> After reboot, everything seems
> running fine.  But I can not get the GRID data:
>
> stratus:[44]% grdlist.k RTGRIBS/GFS-ALL PAR=U FHO=0 LEV=500 GPR=PS NUM=100
> grdlist.k: Error: DATABASE in dsserve, but not on machine
> GRDLIST - done

I just logged onto stratus and tried to run 'gribadmin num'.  Here is the
result:

stratus:[54]% gribadmin num
ERROR 1044 (42000): Access denied for user ''@'localhost' to database 'mcrtgrib'

ERROR 1044 (42000): Access denied for user ''@'localhost' to database 'mcrtgrib'
  Model Number   % of
  Name  of Grids Total
  ===== ======== =====
  ----- -------- -----
  Total

I tried deleting the MySQL database, but this also failed in the same way:
stratus:[55]% gribadmin removedb
Enter password:
ERROR 1045 (28000): Access denied for user 'root'@'localhost' (using password:
YES)

The only time I have seen messages like this was when the password for the MySQL
database was incorrect.  It seems to me that we are seeing this situation now
on stratus.

So, I suggest resetting the password for the MySQL database; this needs to be
done as 'root'.

Here are a couple of references that show how to change the MySQL password:

http://netadmintools.com/art90.html
http://www.mydigitallife.info/2006/06/06/change-and-reset-mysql-root-password/

After the password has been reset, I think that it would be wise to delete and
remake the database:

<as 'mcidas'>
cd $MCDATA
decinfo.k SET DMBIN INACTIVE