[McIDAS #FDU-863429]: BOWTIE and others

Hi Tyn,

re: SATANGLES
> Does this only work in "probe mode", or can one output to IMAGE too?

I had to read the source code for satangles.pgm for this one:  the program
is setup to read the cursor location and then use the navigation associated
with the displayed image.

> Further to the use of the MODIS NDVI server:
>
> The MODIS NDVI PRODUCT server doesn't seem to work with the MOD13
> products offered at DAAC, so maybe this was designed _only_ for DIRECT
> BROADCAST MODIS PROCESSING produced NDVI products?

I don't know.  After reading the paragraphs on MODIS data in HDF files in
the DSSERVE entry in the Users Guide, I assume that McIDAS does not support
these images.  I do not know this as a fact, however.

> I doubt this is the problem as -if i remember well- they do share the
> same HDF formatting....

Yes, but the ADDE servers are pretty hardwired for certain types of MODIS
HDF data.

> This is my RESOLV.SRV line:
> N1=MODIS,N2=MXD13,TYPE=IMAGE,RT=N,K=MODI,R1=1,R2=999999,MASK=/home/mcidas/data/modis/products/MXD13/*.hdf,C=MODIS
>  NDVI,
>
> Below a few lines from modiadir.cp that seem to suggest the MOD13 is
> providing the necessary bands:
>
> /* NDVI */
> if( strncmp( name, "NDVI", 4 ) == 0) {
> got_bands[0] = 1;
> ++image_n_bands;
>
> /* set size of the images */
> image_line_size = sds_dim_sizes[0];
> image_element_size = sds_dim_sizes[1];
> image_data_size = 2;
>
> }
>
> /* EVI */
> if( strncmp( name, "EVI", 3 ) == 0) {
> got_bands[1] = 1;
> ++image_n_bands;
>
> /* set size of the images */
> image_line_size = sds_dim_sizes[0];
> image_element_size = sds_dim_sizes[1];
> image_data_size = 2;
>
> }
>
> Can you pls ask your contact at SSEC for details, and see if they can
> make available a hdf that works for them?

I will try.

> Btw, here is the IMGBOWTIE command:
>
> ftp://ftp.ssec.wisc.edu/pub/mug/imgbowtie.c
>
> Can you include that in your new addendum pls?

OK.  I just added it to my distribution and got it to build.  I have not run
any tests, so this will be one of those 'use at your own risk' commands.

> How can i best compile this?

Two routines are needed:

- imgbowtie.c
- gennavblk.for (available on the SSEC FTP server in pub/mug as gennavblk.fr)

The modifications needed in /home/mcidas/mcidas2007/src/makefile are:

1) add building of gennavblk.o to libmcidas:

#-------
# Unidata Fortran sources for libmcidas.
#-------

UPCLIBMcIDAS_FSRCS  = \
                        dfit.for        \
                        fliprte.for     \
                        gennavblk.for   \
                        j1compas.for    \
                        j1xsymb.for     \
                        u0drwmap.for    \
                        u0eraseg.for    \
                        u0frtime.for    \
                        u0newcol.for    \
                        gammln.for      \
                        invlow.for      \
                        newcolor.for    \
                        parserange.for  \
                        putbar.for      \
                        scatter.for     \
                        slong.for       \
                        stats.for       \
                        symplt.for      \
                        tlow2d.for

2) add the appropriate entries in the XRD section for building IMGBOWTIE:

#-------
# Unidata McIDAS-XRD/MDF apps
#-------

UPCXrdC_Srcs            = \
                        imgbowtie.c     \
                        swnd2cdf.c

imgbowtie.k             : imgbowtie.o $(NCDFLIBDEPS)
                        @$(L) -o $@ imgbowtie.o $(NCDFLIBARGS)
swnd2cdf.k              : swnd2cdf.o $(NCDFLIBDEPS)
                        @$(L) -o $@ swnd2cdf.o $(NCDFLIBARGS)

Then build the executable and help file:

<as 'mcidas' (assumes McIDAS is already built and that you have FTPed
imgbowtie.c
             and gennavblk.for to ~mcidas/mcidas2007/src)>
cd ~mcidas/mcidas2007/src
make imgbowtie.k imgbowtie.hlp
ln imgbowtie.k ~/bin
ln imgbowtie.hlp ~/help