[McIDAS #QZV-564351]: decoder example for HRIT data from MTSAT

Hi Gary,

re:
> I have to write a decoder for MTSAT data in HRIT format.

What exactly do you mean by "decoder"?

re:
> This is for
> a project in Taiwan called AOAWS. Currently we are getting MTSAT in
> another format or a legacy version of HRIT, but now we have to work with
> this "new" HRIT format. I have found some documentation for the format
> (JMA HRIT Mission Specific Implementation, Issue 1.2, 1/1/2003) that
> appears to match the example files I have. I have searched the web for
> information, too. From what I read on Wisconsin's SSEC MCIDAS web page,
> MCIDAS ingests this format. Is this true?

I believe that the SSEC page(s) you are referring to are referring to
their SDI package (Satellite Data Ingestor).  This system is equivalent
to a TeraScan system both in capabilities and price (I think that the
new SDI boxes are around $20K).  The good news is that those boxes make
the data available via ADDE to remote access processes from packages
like McIDAS-X, IDV and McIDAS-V.

re:
> If you have any information or insight that would speed up the
> development, I would appreciate hearing from you.

I am not sure what your development objectives are, so it is hard for
me to come up with any recommendations.

Questions:

- what is your source of HRIT data?

- is the objective to simply be able to process HRIT data from
  disk files, or are you looking for a realtime ingest system?

Cheers,

Tom

Ticket ID: QZV-564351
Department: Support McIDAS