Arrays with null entries?

I am new to NetCDF format, so please bear with me...
When I currently instantiate an array it
zeros out all entries, is there a way to avoid that? I don't see
anything in the javadocs that allows me to do this.
When I write out the array to a file, what I'd like to see in the output
file when I invoke ncdump is entries like _, _, _, ...  where there is
no data.
Thanx
gaby