[netCDFJava #OWD-641139]: Writing NetCDF 2.3.2

Hi Atanas,

A quick addition to Lansing's note ...

Until version 3.6.0 of the netCDF-C library, there was only a single netCDF
file format (now called "netCDF classic" or "netCDF-3" files). A second file
format (a minor variant) was added with the 3.6.0 library. With version 4.0 of
the netCDF-C library came the "netCDF-4" file format (based on HDF5).

For more detail on netCDF file formats, see

http://www.unidata.ucar.edu/software/netcdf/docs/netcdf_format.html

Bottom line, all current and old netCDF libraries should be able to read
netCDF-3 files.

Ethan

> Hello Atanas,
>
> I'm afraid that we no longer support writing to NetCDF 2.x.  I would
> recommend that your client move ahead to NetCDF 3/4.
>
> Regards,
> Lansing Madry
> Unidata
> Boulder, Colorado
>
> On 9/11/2013 12:16 PM, Atanas Ladzhov wrote:
> > New Ticket: Writing NetCDF 2.3.2
> >
> > Hello,
> >
> > I created a program converting ASCII to NetCDF 3. However my client wants
> > to have the file in NetCDF 2.3.2.
> > Does your library support such writer? It looks like NetcdfFileWriter can
> > only create NetCDF 3/4. Is this correct? What would you recommend?
> >
> > Best regards,
> > Atanas Ladzhov

Ticket ID: OWD-641139
Department: Support netCDF Java