Re: Open file mode status

Hi Valerio,

> Here at Memorial Sloan Kettering, we have started to make rather intensive
> usage of the NetCDF format. All seems to work quite well, but we've found it
> necessary to make a few extensions. One in particular might be of interest
> to more users: ncinquire does not return the flags that were used to open
> the file, making it impossible to determine if a currently open file is in
> read-only or read/write mode.
>
> I've added a simple function called ncopenmode. I've included the function
> in the CDF.C source and the prototype in the LOCAL_NC.H file. The call
> looks like this:
>
>       ncopenmode(int cdfid, int *mode)
>
> After using NC_check_id to verify the file, it simply returns the
> handle->flags value.

Thanks for the feedback.  This appears to be a gap in the current interface
that your proposed interface fills well.  We'll consider adding this to the
next version.

Russ Rew                                              UCAR Unidata Program
address@hidden                                        P.O. Box 3000
(303)497-8645                                 Boulder, Colorado 80307-3000