Re: 960814:

On Wed, 14 Aug 1996, Thomas L. Mote wrote:

> ----------
>
> Robb,
>
> I downloaded the lastest netcdf-perl package. I tried to build it
> but got an error. From what I could tell, my perl version was 5.0 p3.
> I assumed this meant through patch 3. The netcdf-perl INSTALL guide
> calls for perl 5.001 through patch 4. I looked at the ftp site that
> is listed in the INSTALL guide for the latest perl patches.
>
> Perl version 5.001 is apparently no longer available. The "latest stable
> version" is 5.003. I did not see any patches for this version. I
> downloaded, built and installed it (sucessfully as far as I can tell).
> I just took the defaults that the configure script gave. There were
> far too many options that are way beyond my UNIX knowledge for me to
> start tinkering
>
> I then tried to build netcdf-perl again (after running configure again)
> and got the errors that you will find in the attached "log" file. Do
> you have any ideas?
>
> BTW, it does not seem that we needed perl for any previous decoders.
> Is unidata going to be incorporating perl more in the future? This is
> an awful lot of pain to get the metar code decoding properly.
>
> Thanks for your help.
>

> > Hiya,
> >
> > You missed step 2 in the metar2nc readme:
> >
> > 2) The latest version of netcdf-perl package must be installed.
> >

> > Look at http://www.unidata.ucar.edu/packages/netcdf-perl/index.html
> >
> > to find instructions on how to install netcdf-perl.  This creates the
> > Netcdf interface in perl, this is what the LDM was complaining about.
> >
> > Robb...
> ----------
>
> cd perl && perl Makefile.PL
> "%att" is not exported by the ExtUtils::MakeMaker module at
> /usr/local/lib/perl5/Exporter.pm line 95
>       Exporter::export called at /usr/local/lib/perl5/Exporter.pm line 149
>       Exporter::import called at Makefile.PL line 2
>       main::BEGIN called at /usr/local/lib/perl5/ExtUtils/MakeMaker.pm line 0
>       eval {...} called at /usr/local/lib/perl5/ExtUtils/MakeMaker.pm line 0
> Can't continue after import errors at Makefile.PL line 2
> BEGIN failed--compilation aborted at Makefile.PL line 2.
> *** Error code 2
> make: Fatal error: Command failed for target `perl/Makefile'

Hiya,

I found 2 errors in building the netcdf-perl package, one in the
netcdf-perl package and the other in the Makefile generated by perl.

edit file netcdf-perl/src/perl/Makefile.PL.in

change first line from:

use ExtUtils::MakeMaker qw(%att &WriteMakefile);

to:

use ExtUtils::MakeMaker;

run:
% ./configure
% make

edit file netcdf-perl/src/perl/Makefile

change:

MOD_INSTALL = $(PERL) -I$(INST_LIB) -I$(PERL_LIB) -MExtUtils::Install \
-e 'install({@ARGV},"$(VERBINST)",0,"$(UNINST)");'

to:

MOD_INSTALL = $(PERL) -I$(INST_LIB) -I$(PERL_ARCHLIB) \
-I$(PERL_LIB) -MExtUtils::Install \
-e 'install({@ARGV},"$(VERBINST)",0,"$(UNINST)");'

run:

% make test
% make install  ( should be done as root )

The first problem is a syntax change that perl has for extensions and the
second problem is the install couldn't find the correct version of the
perl library "libperl.a"

Robb...

Software Engineer                          Univ. Corp for Atmospheric Research