970227: NetCDF 2.4.3 under Windows NT 4.0

Tom,

In the above message, you wrote:

>      I am trying to make NetCDF 2.4.3 on a Pentium running Windows NT 4.0,
>      and using the Microsoft Visual C/C++ v4.2 development environment.
>      Also, I am emulating a UNIX environment by using NutCracker software
>      which supplies a Korn Shell that is run in an NT command window.
>
>      I am following the instructions in the INSTALL file, setting CC to
>      point to the Microsoft CL comiler/linker.I invoke the CONFIGURE script
>      as follows:
>
>         $ CC=CL CPP="CL /EP" ./configure >log 2>&1
>
>      where CL is the name of the Microsoft compiler, and its directory is
>      on the path.  The contents of log are as follows:

> checking for catman... no
> checking for fill-value usage... new usage
> checking the installation prefix... D:/unixapps/netcdf-2.4.3
> checking the installation exec-prefix... D:/unixapps/netcdf-2.4.3
> checking for C compiler... CL
> checking type of operating system... Windows_NT
> checking for ranlib... :
> checking how to run the C preprocessor... CL /EP
> checking the C preprocessor... configure: warning: C preprocessor, `CL /EP',
> doesn't work

The above line indicates that the `configure' script couldn't preprocess
a test program using the command `CL /EP'.  The reason for this should
be in the file `config.log'.

> checking for f77... no
> checking for cf77... no
> checking for CC... no
> checking for cxx... no
> checking for c++... no
> checking for g++... no
> checking for gcc... no
> checking for yacc... no
> checking for bison... no
> checking for neqn... cat
> configure: warning: ./configure: Can't find program `neqn'; setting to `cat'
> checking for tbl... cat
> configure: warning: ./configure: Can't find program `tbl'; setting to `cat'
> checking for ar... no
> checking for makeinfo... no
> checking for tar flags... -chof
> checking for dependency generation mechanism... CL -M
> checking for C position-independent-code compile-option...
> checking whether cross-compiling... yes
> checking size of int... configure: error: can not run test program while cross
> compiling

The above line indicates that the `configure' script couldn't compile a
test program using the command `CL'.  The reason for this should be in
the file `config.log'.

You should verify that you can, indeed, preprocess and compile a C file
using the relevant commands.

> I am unable to decode the configure script well enough to determine
> the cause of the fatal error.  Any help you could offer would be much
> appreciated!
>
> Tom Stepka
> address@hidden

Please keep me apprised.