Re: 20041201: netCDF unlimited dimension

>To: address@hidden
>From: Gerald vanderGrijn <address@hidden>
>Subject: unlimited dimension

Hi Gerald,

> I am quite a newbie in the netcdf format so please forgive me that I
> have a basic question regarding the creation of new variables.
>
> It says in my NetCDF user guide for F90 that when creating a
> variable the unlimited dimension should be specified last.  However,
> in the F77 user guide I read that the unlimited dimension should be
> specified first.  (see
> http://my.unidata.ucar.edu/content/software/netcdf/netcdf-4/newdocs/netcdf-f77/NF_DEF_VAR.html
> )
>
> Is this a typo or are there really these differences between the F77
> and F90 library?

It must be a typo, because the unlimited dimension should be specified
first in the list of dimensions for either the NF_DEF_VAR or
NF90_DEF_VAR functions.

I'm unable to find the mistake in the online Fortran 90 User's
Guide.  It's correct in the description of NF90_DEF_VAR here:

http://my.unidata.ucar.edu/content/software/netcdf/netcdf-4/newdocs/netcdf-f90/NF90_DEF_VAR.html#NF90_DEF_VAR

Could you tell me where you saw the error or send me a paragraph of
context where the error occurs so I can fix it?

Thanks!

--Russ

address@hidden          http://www.unidata.ucar.edu/staff/russ