[netCDF #XIS-909415]: Problem Installing netcdf-4.3.1

Vic,

Oops, sorry, I can now duplicate the problem you are seeing, so
will follow up with a diagnosis and solution.  It has nothing to
do with the compiler version!

I had been  inadvertantly running in an environment in which the
LD_LIBRARY_PATH variable was set to a directory that caused me to
be testing a current version of HDF5 rather than HDF5-1.8.7.

Sorry about the red herrings :-) ...

--Russ