19990120: os2 & large disk drives

>From: address@hidden

Alan-

>We are currently having a problem with os2 v. 4 (warp) installing
>on a gateway with a large disk drive.  Disk drive is by Quantum
>and capacity is 10.2 GB.
>
>Contacts with gateway and quantum suggest getting a file called
>disk manager.  We have that and are still not able to get os2 to
>successfully partition and format the drive.
>
>Do you know of anyone with a similar problem?   We have not
>experienced anything like this.  I did look in the archives
>but did not find anything .

I have not run into this, but installing OS/2 Warp on a system with
a large hard drive is a known problem.  Fortunately there is
a fix available.  Basically, you need to update some drivers on
the Installation Diskette 1 for the Warp install.  See:

http://ftp.software.ibm.com/os2ddpak/html/os_2comp/installa/

and go to the link:

   Greater Than 8.4GB IDE Hardfile Support

The instructions for installing this fix are found at:

http://ftp.software.ibm.com/os2ddpak/html/19990107094500_0000023075_README_TXT.html

(README.TXT from the parts log)

Let me know if this works or if you have any questions about it.

Don