Re: 20000224: build problem: missing getenv()

Eric,

In the above message, you wrote:

> We have had to rebuild udunits, netcdf, and the decoders for our system
> and have run into a problem with udunits.  We are running SunOS 5.7 on a
> SPARC20 with SUNWspro compilers and udunits1.11.7.  I have attached to
> log from when I did a ./configure and make in the udunits-1.11.7/src
> directory.  Got any suggestions?
>
> So far no luck with netcdf either, but I'll take one thing at a time.
>
> Appreciate the help...as always.
>
> --------------DBCA160491E41B56052384BD

> checking type of operating system... sunos5
> checking for catman... (cached) catman
> checking for manual-page index command... catman -w -M $(MANDIR)
> checking for cc... (cached) cc
> checking for dependency generation mechanism... cc -xM
> checking how to run the C preprocessor... (cached) /lib/cpp
> checking the C preprocessor... works
> checking for C const... yes
> checking for C volatile... yes
> checking for C signed... yes
> checking for C function prototypes... yes
> checking for standard C variadic functions... yes
> checking for standard C string generation... yes
> checking for standard C token pasting... yes
> checking C void pointer... yes
> checking for ar... (cached) /usr/ccs/bin/ar
> checking for tar flags... -chof
> checking for ranlib... (cached) :
> checking binary distribution directory... ./configure: system: execute
> permission denied
> /home/ftp/pub/binary/dummy_system
> checking the installation prefix... /opt/unidata
> checking the installation exec-prefix... /opt/unidata
> checking for neqn... (cached) neqn
> checking for tbl... (cached) tbl
> checking for ar... (cached) /usr/ccs/bin/ar
> checking for yacc library...
> checking for yyerror() in default library(s)... no
> checking for yyerror() in -ly... yes
> checking for C math library...
> checking for (void)sin(0.0) in default library(s)... no
> checking for (void)sin(0.0) in -lm... yes
> checking style for cfortran.h... Standard
> checking for stddef.h... (cached) yes
> checking C header file <stddef.h> for typedef size_t... declared
> checking for stddef.h... (cached) yes
> checking C header file <stddef.h> for typedef ptrdiff_t... declared
> checking for float.h... (cached) yes
> checking for stdlib.h... (cached) yes
> checking C header file <stdlib.h> for typedef size_t... declared
> checking for atexit... (cached) no
> checking for stdlib.h... (cached) yes
> checking C header file <stdlib.h> for function atexit()... declared
> checking for getenv... (cached) no

Something's wrong with your development environment: the function
"getenv()" is *required* to exist.

It could be that the configure script is getting a non-conforming C
compiler due to your PATH environment variable.  Try the following:

    1.  Go to the top-level source directory of the UDUNITS package.

    2.  Perform steps 3 through 5 near the end of the INSTALL file.

    3.  Ensure that the environment variable CC is set to the absolute
        pathname of a *conforming* C compier, e.g.

            setenv CC /opt/SUNWspro/bin/cc

    4. Perform steps 6 through 9 near the end of the INSTALL file.

Please keep me apprised.

Regards,