20040607: udunits help

Michelle,

>Date: Mon, 7 Jun 2004 10:14:01 -0500
>From: Michelle <address@hidden>
>To: Steve Emmerson <address@hidden>
>Subject: Re: 20040604: udunits help

> It [lib/udunits.inc.in] isn't there.  When I went to download, I saw
> that there are binaries available for Linux on an i686 machine - which
> wasn't there before (last fall!). So I grabbed that - will see what
> happens.

That might work.

> The ultimate goal here is to get IVE running on this machine,
> so I've skipped ahead to trying to make IVE, and letting it tell me
> what's missing. It seems to be tripping over the driver.F program
> in the /src file.  It gives a syntax error in line 531 - apparently
> doesn't like the declaration of "automatic" for a variable type (which
> I confess I've never heard of) and if I comment that out (just to
> see what happens) it goes ahead and crashes on some recursive calls
> to itself.  I always thought Fortran couldn't do recursive calls
> anyway... am I missing something? I've tried using pgf77 and pgf90. Is
> there some other compiler I should try?

You got me.  I'm afraid I don't know IVE from a hole in the ground.

I suggest you contact IVE help.

> OK, here it [make.log] is (from the previous attempts). but I think we
> can ignore this now that I have the 1.11.7 binaries, yes?

The binaries might work.  If they don't, then it's probably
because you're using a different Fortran compiler -- one whose
calling-conventions differ from the Fortran compiler assumed during the
build of the binary.  If that's the case, then you'll have to build from
source.

> making `all' in directory /coot1/IVE/udunits-1.12.0/src/port
>
> make[1]: Entering directory `/coot1/IVE/udunits-1.12.0/src/port'
> make[1]: *** No rule to make target `all'.  Stop.

Now that's bizarre!  Does the file

    /coot1/IVE/udunits-1.12.0/src/port/Makefile

exist?  If so, then please send it to me.

Regards,
Steve Emmerson