[UDUNITS #BAC-946054]: UDUnits -- trying to find a list of valid units and prefixes

Hi Tom,

> The list of valid unit names, etc., I have access to at
> (http://www.unidata.ucar.edu/software/udunits/udunits.txt) is
> apparently outdated from version 1.

The UDUNITS-2 package is the preferred one.

> The on-line information for version 2 at
> <http://www.unidata.ucar.edu/software/udunits/udunits-2/udunits2-base.xml>
> is in unreadable XML format.

XML is unreadable? ;-)

> Right now, I am just trying to find out whether Dobson Units (DU) is
> now part of the package for use in the IDV.  And also whether anything
> can accommodate "parts per million volume (usually abbreviated "ppmv")
> has any counterpart.

"dobson" is in the file "udunits2-common.xml".

"ppmv" isn't in the UDUNITS-2 database.

> I know I wrote Steve some time ago about the web page being out of
> date, and that seems to be cleared up.....but I'm still at a loss to
> help others put correct unit names into their files since I can no
> longer "read" what these names should be....as this issue keeps coming
> up and I need to be able to show people a list of valid names.

If you have access to a UDUNITS-2 installation, then you can execute the
following command to list the available units:

    egrep 'singular|symbol' $prefix/share/udunits/udunits2-*.xml |  sed
's/<[^>]*>//g;s/ *//'

where $prefix is the root of the UDUNITS-2 installation.

I suppose a better way to do this would be to have our web-server dynamically
convert the XML files into web pages using XSLT. Jen, can this be done?

> Thanks for any help...
>
> tom
>
> --
> Tom Whittaker
> University of Wisconsin-Madison
> Space Science & Engineering Center (SSEC)
> Cooperative Institute for Meteorological Satellite Studies (CIMSS)
> 1225 W. Dayton Street
> Madison, WI  53706  USA
> ph: +1 608 262 2759

Regards,