Re: [netcdf-java] Configure thredds to use local tables with GRIB-2

Hi Sean,

I am going to post the following reply. Do you think we need any changes to
this.

Hi Sean,

Thanks for the quick response. Regarding our requirements for GRIB-2 fold,
we have data-known centres like US National Weather Service , ECMWF , etc.
Also we have our own GRIB-2 data.

According to the ucar documentation (
https://www.unidata.ucar.edu/software/thredds/v4.3/netcdf-java/formats/GribTables.html)
grib-1 files can be configured to use local tables by using
“lookupTables.txt” file (resources\grib1\lookupTables.txt ). We managed to
follow the steps given to configure local tables for grib-1 files.

We thought we can follow the similar approach with GRIB-2 files using the
“standardTableMap.txt” file (resources/grib2/standardTableMap.txt ). But
irrespective of what is specified in this file, thredds seems to pick up
the tables from WMO grib2 code flags xml file (
resources/grib2/wmo/GRIB2_14_0_0_CodeFlag_en.xml).

For instance even when we have the following entry in the
standardTableMap.txt, thredds seems to load values from
wmo/GRIB2_14_0_0_CodeFlag_en.xml file for a grib-2 file from NCEP.

                7;     -1; -1; -1; -1;    ncep; ncep

Do you think we are going down a wrong path trying to use the
“standardTableMap.txt” file for defining local tables for grib-2 files.