[Support #IKB-128496]: garp - large body of images

>I have a question for you. We have archived surface observations for a
>year or so. With a little script, we can use garp to view the archived
>images. However, garp is hard to handle so many images popping up at once. Do
>you have a mechanism for garp itself to pick up images. For example, we can
>archive the data monthly, then garp will have a choice to enter a certain
>month to view images. It would be very helpful if something for this are
>existing. Otherwise, we will find a way to do that.

Wen,

If you had monthly archives, then a simple script which asks
the user for the desired month, and then set the environmental variable $SAT
for the desired image subtree prior to launching NTL would be all
that you need. Launching Garp or NMAP2 from the NTL would inherit
the environmental variable of $SAT.

For example, if you had a directory  archived_images/yyyymm/sat.....
Then your $SAT could be set to the desired archived_images/yyyymm/sat/
tree.

This same approach is useful when using COMET case studies in GEMPAK.

Steve Chiswell
Unidata User Support

Ticket ID: IKB-128496
Department: Support GEMPAK